PRICING & DATES BELOW ARE FOR THE PAST 2016 SUMMER SEASON.
Dates: June 16 – November 3 (six monthly deliveries on 6/16, 7/14, 8/11, 9/8, 10/6, and 11/3)
Our farmers take care and pride in raising their animals, and don’t like anything to go to waste. Challenge yourself with the odd bits! We will include recipes, hints, or tips with your shares to guide you–or dig around online and see what else you come up with!
SHARE CONSISTS OF:
- June – Animal fats. Learn how to sauté with smoked fatback or make your own sausage. Animal fats are nutrient dense, filling, and easily absorbed by our bodies.
- July – Organ meats. You’ll get heart, liver, kidney or tongue from beef, pork, chicken, lamb or buffalo. Highly nutritious, very clean organ meat to challenge your kitchen skills.
- August – Neck bones. Take advantage of the bountiful August tomato harvest and make tomato sauce to remember. These can also be barbequed like ribs, made with your greens, etc. Lots of flavor, beef or pork.
- September – Shanks. Welcome Fall in September with your homemade Osso Bucco made with beef, pork, or lamb shanks. Stock and stew are also options with this cut.
- October – Rendering. Render pork leaf lard or beef suet for healthy cooking fats, pie baking, candle or soap making. Rendering is easy, it just takes time.
- November – Stocking up. A blend of animal bones and feet to make your own dense ‘liquid gold.’ Adding stock to your meals increases their rich flavor and you are sated with eating less. It’s a great way to use up the trimmings off your vegetables, and for leftover bones. Once you get into the habit of stock making, you’ll wonder how you ever cooked without it.